Pam Carter - Weeks of Sept 14 and Sept 21
Course/Period/Group: A.P. U.S. History
Course Schedule: M-W
Office Hours: Friday 10-Noon
How did contact between Europe, Africa, and the New World affect each region?
- I can explain the effects of the initial European contact with the Americas, including the Columbian Exchange.
- I can describe the encomienda system and both native & European responses to Spanish colonization.
- I can compare the goals of Europeans in exploration and conquest and analyze how that affected their interactions with natives.
- I can discuss the unique characteristics of the British colonies on the Atlantic seaboard by region and by colony.
- I can describe the transatlantic trade system that developed and how it advanced mercantilist goals
- I can identify examples of cooperation & conflict between natives and Europeans
- I can track the causes and effects of the rise of slavery in the colonies.
- I can describe the development of political institutions in the British colonies and evaluate the extent to which they were democratic.
Optional - Crash Course Videos and Questions
- Pre-Contact Native Societies - Due Sept 21
- New World Contact Document Analysis - Due Sept 21
- Conflicting Perspectives - Due Sept 21
- Colonial Regions - Due Sept 28
- Colonial Religions - Due Sept 28
- Colonial Economy & Conflict with Native Americans - Due Sept 28